Essential Newborn Care 1
Essential Newborn Care 1 the first part of the ENC course, called Immediate Care and Helping Babies Breathe at Birth.
- This page provides you with the information and resources you need to run the first part of the ENC course—whether you are facilitating remotely, face-to-face, or in a blended way.
- The course materials are very flexible. You can use them for different settings, both pre-service and in-service. You can also adapt the course duration so it meets your needs.
- Spend some time on “How to facilitate” section. Here you learn how to run the course in a way that fits your needs.
How to facilitate
Course materials in PDF
These PDFs are interactive, which means you can use them on a screen with interactive links. They can also be printed.
As facilitator you will need to ensure that the following equipment is available for each pair or group of participants before the course starts.
- Action Plan
- Pen and paper
- Hand cleaner
- Newborn simulator
- Head covering (for baby)
- Cloths (dry and clean)
- Cord ties/clamps
- Ventilation bag and mask
- Suction device
As a facilitator you will need:
- Tools for facilitation (printed or digital)
- If you are facilitating remotely you will need a tablet or computer with camera and microphone
Videos from real births by Global Health Media
Demonstration videos for practicing skills
Assessment and evaluation
Digital assessment using Socrative
Socrative is an online tool that allows you to create assessments to check the knowledge of the participants. To use Socrative you need to create a free account and follow these instructions:
Paper based assessments
Download and print these documents to check the knowledge and skills of the participants
- Pre-course Knowledge Check
- Post-course Knowledge Check
- Bag-mask skills check
- Case Scenario A
- Case Scenario B
Coming soon: An new assessment tool online
We are working on a new online tool to assess participants. With it you will be able to digitally share, collect and score course assessments. Track, monitor, and assess participants’ performance, observe results in real-time, and view individual as well as average results of the class. This will give you a visual overview to compare results before and after, which will let you highlight progress.
Download and modify these documents to fit your purposes.
- Invitation to the course for participants
- Invitation to evaluation session
- Agenda for 2-day course
- Agenda for course in short sessions
During the course you will introduce the Practice Cards for Group practice. These cards have different scenarios where the participants can practice the roles of mother and provider. If there is a third participant in the group, they can be the helper. Participants can access digital cards on their smartphones, or download and print them here.