Vacumm Assisted Birth
With this course you will develop the knowledge, skills, and competency to identify the need for a vacuum assisted birth (VAB), perform the procedure, and manage complications. This course is intended for health providers who have completed the Essential Care for Labor and Birth and Prolonged and Obstructed Birth courses.
- To participate in this course you need to first receive an invitation from a facilitator. Please follow guidance from your facilitator.
- Hands-on skills practice is essential for the course.
- This page provides you with the information and resources you need to participate in the course.
Note: The vacuum assisted birth procedure should not be attempted in clinical practice without sufficient skills practice with simulation.
Here you can find PDFs of the course materials that you can view digitally or download. In some cases your facilitator will also provide printed versions.
During practice of Vacumm Assisteed Birth you will need:
- Pregnancy wheels or calendars
- Pens/pencils, paper, blank partographs .
and/or client records
- BP machine
- Stethoscope (adult / newborn)
- MamaBirthie and BabyBirthie
- White skull (comes with MamaBirthie)
- Cervical inserts (comes with Mama
- Gloves (clean and sterile)
- Fetoscope/Doppler and ultrasound gel
- Measuring tape
- Vacuum extractor and cups
- Soap or alcohol based hand rub
- Videos and projector/laptop (if using)
- Towels, baby hat, and blanket
- Scissors and/or blade
- Hemostats, clamps, ties for cord
- Basin/receiver for placenta
- Personal protection for provider
- Mock oxytocin, ampicillin,
gentomycin, syringes and needle
- Suction device
- Ventilation bag and mask for baby
- Container for safe sharps disposal
Regular practice reinforces new knowledge and skills. Practice also develops skills and improves teamwork and clinical decision-making. Ask your facilitator for exercises and tips to continue simulation practice at your facility.
This course was developed by Jhpiego, an organization that creates and delivers transformative health care solutions that save lives. They believe that where people live should not determine if they live. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, Jhpiego builds health providers’ skills and develops systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Jhpiego’s dedicated team of technical experts in human resource development; maternal and newborn health; monitoring, evaluation and research; in concert with global partners has brought the HMS suite of training materials forth to improve quality of care at birth.