Pre-Eclampsia & Eclampsia
With Pre-Eclampsia & Eclampsia (PE&E) you will gain knowledge, skills, and confidence to identify and manage one of the leading causes of maternal death.
- Hands-on skills practice is essential for the course.
- This page provides you with the information and resources you need to participate in the course. Please follow guidance from your facilitator.
Here you can find PDFs of the course materials that you can view digitally or download. In some cases your facilitator will also provide printed versions.
During practice of Pre-Eclampsia & Eclampsia you will need:
- MgSO4: at least 14g
- Lignocaine 2%
- Sterile water/IV for dilution
- 20cc syringes: at least 3
- IM needles: at least 3
- IV normal saline or lactated Ringer solution
- IV giving set and IV needles
- Alcohol swabs, tourniquet, gloves
- Calcium gluconate 10%
- Antihypertensive medication
- BP machine, stethoscope
- Urine dipsticks
- Reflex hammer
- Foley catheter, syringe, water for inflating
- Urine collection bag
Regular practice reinforces new knowledge and skills. Practice also develops skills and improves teamwork and clinical decision-making. Ensure that participants are able to continue low-dose, high-frequency simulation practice.
The last pages of the Provider Guide include practice sessions.
Download the Provider Guide
This course was developed by Jhpiego, an organization that creates and delivers transformative health care solutions that save lives. They believe that where people live should not determine if they live. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, Jhpiego builds health providers’ skills and develops systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Jhpiego’s dedicated team of technical experts in human resource development; maternal and newborn health; monitoring, evaluation and research; in concert with global partners has brought the HMS suite of training materials forth to improve quality of care at birth.