Essential Care for Labor and Birth
With Essential Care for Labor & Birth (ECL&B) you will gain knowledge, skills, and confidence to care for mothers. The course focuses on respectful care and a normal, healthy labor and birth.
- Hands-on skills practice is essential for the course.
- This page provides you with the information and resources you need to participate in the course. Please follow guidance from your facilitator.
Here you can find the PDF or online versions of the course materials, that you can view digitally. In some cases your facilitator will also provide printed versions. These materials are currently in an interim/pilot version.
Here you can find the course for online learning and hands on practice. Follow the instructions from your facilitator.
During practice of Essential Care for Labor and Birth you will need:
- Action Plan
- Provider Guide
- Pregnancy wheels or calendars
- Pens/pencils, paper, blank partographs and/or client records
- BP machine – 1 per 2 learners
- Stethoscope – 1 per 2 learners
- Birth simulator with newborn model
- Gloves (clean and sterile)
- Fetoscope/Doppler and ultrasound gel
- Measuring tape
- Soap or alcohol based hand rub
- Videos and projector/laptop (if using)
- Towels, baby hat, and blanket
- Scissors or blade
- Hemostats, clamps, ties for cord
- Basin for placenta
- Personal protection for provider
- Mock oxytocin, misoprostol, syringes and needles
- Suction device for baby
- Ventilation bag and mask for baby
- Container for safe sharps disposal
If you are attending an online training you will also need
- Smartphone, tablet or computer with camera and microphone
Regular practice reinforces new knowledge and skills. Practice also develops skills and improves teamwork and clinical decision-making. You can use Simulation Practice Cards to practice.
In addition, The last pages of your Provider Guide include 10 practice sessions for you to continue practice in your facility after the course.
Download the Provider Guide
This course was developed by Jhpiego, an organization that creates and delivers transformative health care solutions that save lives. They believe that where people live should not determine if they live. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, Jhpiego builds health providers’ skills and develops systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Jhpiego’s dedicated team of technical experts in human resource development; maternal and newborn health; monitoring, evaluation and research; in concert with global partners has brought the HMS suite of training materials forth to improve quality of care at birth.