Essential Care for Labor and Birth
With Essential Care for Labor & Birth participants will gain knowledge, skills, and confidence to care for mothers. The course focuses on respectful care and a normal, healthy labor and birth.
- This page provides you with the information and resources you need to run the course—whether you are facilitating remotely, face-to-face, or in a blended way.
- The course materials are very flexible. You can use them for different settings, both pre-service and in-service. Also, you can adapt the course duration so it meets your needs.
- Spend some time on “How to facilitate” section. Here you learn how to run the course in a way that fits your needs.
How to facilitate
This is the a test version of the digital course for Essential Care for Labor and Birth (ECL&B). We would like you to test it and give us your feedback! With your input we will soon publish a new and improved version.
Course materials in PDF
Download interactive PDFs to view on a computer, phone or tablet.
As facilitator you will need to ensure that the following equipment is available for each pair or group of participants before the course starts.
- Pregnancy wheels or calendars
- Pens/pencils, paper, blank partographs and/or client records
- BP machine – 1 per 2 learners
- Stethoscope – 1 per 2 learners
- Birth simulator with newborn model
- Gloves (clean and sterile)
- Fetoscope/Doppler and ultrasound gel
- Measuring tape
- Soap or alcohol based hand rub
- Videos and projector/laptop (if using)
- Towels, baby hat, and blanket
- Scissors or blade
- Hemostats, clamps, ties for cord
- Basin for placenta
- Personal protection for provider
- Mock oxytocin, misoprostol, syringes and needles
- Suction device for baby
- Ventilation bag and mask for baby
- Container for safe sharps disposal
If you are facilitating remotely
- Tablet or computer with camera and microphone
Videos from real births by Global Health Media
Demonstration videos for practicing skills
Assessment and evaluation
Click on your language start the download
- Participant characteristics English | French | Spanish
- Confidence Check English | French | Spanish
- Pre-course Knowledge Check English | French | Spanish
- Post-course Knowledge Check English | French | Spanish
- Knowledge Checks – answers English | French | Spanish
- OSCE 1 – Abdominal Exam English | French | Spanish
- OSCE 2 – Vaginal Exam English | French | Spanish
- OSCE 3 – Support Birth English | French | Spanish
- Participant evaluation English | French | Spanish
Digital Knowledge Check using Socrative
Socrative is an online tool that allows you to create assessments to check the knowledge of the participants. Follow these instructions to use Socrative.
Coming soon: An new assessment tool online
We are working on a new online tool to assess participants. With it you will be able to share, collect and score participants’ course assessments, all digitally. Track, monitor, and assess participants’ performance, observe results in real-time, and view individuals as well as average results of the class. This will provide you with a visual overview and you to compare results before and after to highlight progress.
Download and modify these documents to fit your purposes.
When using the digital course (English)
- Invitation to evaluation session (coming soon)
- Agenda for 2-day course (coming soon)
- Agenda for course in short sessions (coming soon)
When using the Flip Chart
- Agenda English | French | Spanish
- Room layout English | French | Spanish
- Preparations check list English | French | Spanish