Essential Care for Labor and Birth
With Essential Care for Labor & Birth participants will gain knowledge, skills, and confidence to care for mothers. The course focuses on respectful care and a normal, healthy labor and birth.
On this page you will find what you need to plan and facilitate the course: Learning materials, Equipment, Videos, Assessments and LDHF practice. The course materials are very flexible. You can use them for different settings, both pre-service and in-service. You can also adapt the course duration so it meets your needs.
Here you can find online materials and PDFs to view and download. You should also have printed materials during the course. You can order printed materials in English from Laerdal. The countries with highest mortality rates qualify for non-profit prices. If you prefer you can get the printing files free of charge, to print locally.
You have two alternatives to facilitate the course: Online or with a Flip Chart
Use the traditional printed Flip Chart or the ECL&B online course. The content in both alternatives is the same, choose the one that fits your needs best.
Use the online course to facilitate remotely, in person, or in a combination, whenever internet access is available. The online course includes interactive content like demonstration videos, exercises and more to support you and your participants. Even thought the course is facilitator-led, participants have the option of going through some parts on their own, reviewing the content at their own pace before and after the training.
Use the printed Flip Chart to facilitate the course when internet access is limited. The PDF has interactive links that you can explore. You can also download the same videos that are available in the online course here, to use alongside the Flip Chart.
Simulation Practice Cards
During the course you can introduce the Practice Cards for Group practice. These online cards have different scenarios where the participants practice the roles of mother and provider. Every participant should have access to the online or printed version, also after the course.
During the ECL&B training every group of six participants will need:
- Action Plan
- Provider Guides, one per participant
- Birth simulator with newborn model, we suggest MamaBirthie
- Pregnancy wheels or calendars
- Pens/pencils, paper, blank partographs and/or client records
- BP machine – 1 per 2 learners
- Stethoscope – 1 per 2 learners
- Gloves (clean and sterile)
- Fetoscope/Doppler and ultrasound gel
- Measuring tape
- Soap or alcohol based hand rub
- Videos and projector/laptop (if using)
- Towels, baby hat, and blanket
- Scissors or blade
- Hemostats, clamps, ties for cord
- Basin for placenta
- Personal protection for provider
- Mock oxytocin, misoprostol, syringes and needles
- Suction device for baby
- Ventilation bag and mask for baby
- Container for safe sharps disposal
If you are facilitating remotely
- Tablet or computer with camera and microphone
Regular practice reinforces new knowledge and skills. Practice also develops skills and improves teamwork and clinical decision-making. Prepare participants to continue practicing in short, frequent sessions at their facility and with their teams. We call this “low-dose, high-frequency” practice.
Participants can complete a confidence check before and after the training. This provides insights in the learning needs and process for both participants and facilitators.
Pre and post course Knowledge Check
Participants should complete a knowledge check before and after the training. This provides insight in the theoretical learning needs and process for both participants and facilitators.
- Pre-course Knowledge Check English French Spanish
- Post-course Knowledge Check English French Spanish
- Knowledge Checks – answers English French Spanish
Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE) is a method to assess clinical skill(s) performance and competence. Participants should perform the OSCEs at the end of the course to gain a certificate.
- OSCE 1 – Abdominal Exam English French Spanish
- OSCE 2 – Vaginal Exam English French Spanish
- OSCE 3 – Support Birth English French Spanish
Download and modify these documents to fit your purpose when preparing and evaluating your course.
- Certificates English French Spanish
- Participant characteristics English French Spanish
- Participant evaluation English French Spanish
This course was developed by Jhpiego, an organization that creates and delivers transformative health care solutions that save lives. They believe that where people live should not determine if they live. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, Jhpiego builds health providers’ skills and develops systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Jhpiego’s dedicated team of technical experts in human resource development; maternal and newborn health; monitoring, evaluation and research; in concert with global partners has brought the HMS suite of training materials forth to improve quality of care at birth.